(b Le Havre, 21 June 1750; d Paris, 15 April
1818). French sculptor, draughtsman and engraver. He arrived in
Paris in 1765 to become a pupil of Augustin Pajou. Although he never
won the Prix de Rome, he appears to have travelled to Rome in the
early 1770s. About 1780 or 1781 he was involved in the decoration of
Claude-Nicolas Ledoux’s Hôtel Thélusson, Paris. From 1784 to 1785 he
carried out work at the château of Compiègne, including the
decoration of the Salle des Gardes, where his bas-reliefs
illustrating the Battles of Alexander (in situ) pleasantly combine a
Neo-classical clarity of composition with a virtuosity and animation
that are still Rococo in spirit.
La Fontaine de Diane,
restored by Beauvallet
Suzanne bathing. Marble, 1813
Please note: site admin does not answer any questions. This is our readers discussion only.