(b Bischofswang, nr Füssen, 28 Feb 1733; d Munich, 19 Dec 1810).
German sculptor. He was the son of a farmer. He first trained as a sculptor in the leading workshop of the region, that of Anton Sturm (16901757) in Füssen. Boos then travelled as a journeyman to Munich, where he is believed to have worked for nine years with Johann Baptist Straub. By 1763 he had become a student at the Kaiserliche Kunstakademie in Vienna; he also studied at the Städtische Kunstakademie in Augsburg, where he worked at the studio of the brothers Placidus Verhelst and Ignaz Wilhelm Verhelst. In 1765 Boos returned to Munich. His earliest surviving works were executed the following year: over life-size statues at the entrance to the choir of the monastery church at Fürstenfeldbruck (1766), representing the monasterys founders, Duke Ludwig II and his son Ludwig IV. That same year Boos became one of the founders of a private school of drawing, which in 1770 developed into a modest academy of painting and sculpture. There he taught sculpture (without pay) and, from 1771, was the academys business manager.
Schlosspark Nymphenburg, Munchen (detail)
Please note: site admin does not answer any questions. This is our readers discussion only.